[HCoop-Discuss] delays (was: Financial situation)

Shaun Kruger shaun.kruger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 18:50:22 EDT 2007

> Perhaps.  But if that is the case you should describe the explanation
> for the delay as "previous AFS administrator" not "AFS".

I have been following these threads as there seems to be some
heightened interest the last couple of days.  My concerns are as
follows.

1. Anytime I try to do things on fyodor it is uncomfortably slow.  All
I'm looking for is some hosting space with reasonable performance.

2. New servers exist, but they are not ready for use.  As I have
followed this process of getting new servers it has felt as if the new
setup we decided on was a little over engineered for our size.  (I say
this because of how long it has been taking)

I don't have any needs that require anything more complex than being
told which server my hosting domains are active on.  I don't need
access to every server in the hcoop cluster.

All I want is hosting that works.
How do new and cool technologies make our hosting better?
What are we missing by using more traditional authentication? (nis,
ldap, etc..).
What are we missing by using more traditional non-network/distributed
filesystems?

If we need to consider professional admins we're making it too hard.

At this point I'm expecting a few people to defend the new systems by
telling me I just don't understand the requirements.  That's fine.  I
just know that I joined a hosting coop to get hosting.  I'm not sure
what I need that would require single sign on across a cluster of
hosting servers.

Shaun Kruger

--
Visit my blog at http://hackerlog.blogspot.com