[HCoop-Discuss] Openness of mailing lists (only archive last N days?)

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Mon Apr 30 12:37:54 EDT 2007

Adam Megacz wrote:
> I'm just saying that it's a bit of a hassle to put every posting I
> make through the mental filter of "gee, how will this response look to
> people who know me ten years from now" -- in addition to the mostly
> automatic "gee, how will this look to the message's intended audience"
> filter.

The poll so far makes it clear that "close the list" is the majority
viewpoint, including among the board members.  So let me just suggest a
possibility based on this class of objection.

hcoop-sysadmin now is used for (or at least, in my assumptions, has been
intended to be used for) two classes of messages: architectural
discussions where we can clearly benefit from as broad participation as
possible, and short notes between admins coordinating work.  Would
everyone be happy with moving just the second class to a separate,
private list?

For the broad discussions, it's entirely possible that interested
parties outside the co-op could have valuable things to say.  Non-member
developers of software packages might even watch our lists to see if
they can get ideas for how to improve them.  We can probably all agree
that the second class has no such possibilities.

Michael Olson wrote:
> This poll is fatally flawed because of the ambiguity about which lists
> it applies to. Please take it down and replace it with a poll that
> only mentions hcoop-sysadmin.

I think the general trend is clear enough that there's no need to do this.