[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Terrence Brannon metaperl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 05:42:29 EDT 2007

On 4/30/07, Franklin Gordon Bynum <frank at hcoop.net> wrote:

> Let me beat this point to death: you did not contract with a company to
> give you a set service at a set price.  You joined a cooperative and in
> effect purchased a share of an organizaiton that is growing and needs
> capital contributions from its members.  This has always been clear.

Well, when are we a cooperative and when do we force people to pay
something own their own? The one example of someone having to operate
on their own that comes to mind for me is when Tanveer Singh installed
a java-based file browser or mail tool which promptly ate up a ton of
bandwidth, more than his share. Adam asked him if he would pay for the
extra and he did.

Analyzing Tanveer's situation in terms of intent, effect, and
resolution we have:

intent - personal usage of a software program
effect - excessive bandwidth use
resolution - personal coverage of costs

Analyzing our current situation in terms of intent, effect, and
resolution we have:

intent - coop-wide migration and improvement of deployment platform
effect - excessive monthly fee
resolution - being handled in different ways by different members with
vary degrees of   comfort in doing so

By the way, it would be nice to know about actions towards individual
members like the one I cited regarding Tanveer. I just happened to
catch that in passing on IRC. Perhaps there should be a weblog with
RSS feed that provides all the latest actions.

--
HIV/AIDS on trial - http://www.aliveandwell.org/
Let's play chess: http://www.SlowChess.com