[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Apr 28 14:21:17 EDT 2007

Adam Chlipala wrote:
> So, what should we do?  I don't have any idea how soon we'll be ready to
> switch to the new servers.  Essentially no one responded to my call to
> "lend" HCoop money in the interim.
>
> Should we call this the point where we bundle the charges so far into
> one sum that we split among willing members ASAP, and from here on bill
> monthly charges to everyone as they arrive?

The answer to this is very simple.  Split monthly charges among members
as they accrue, and bill out the back charges among all members over the
next few months.  All members are willing members, because nobody is
being held a member against their will.
Positive effects of this will be that members will be more interested in
migrating to the server that they should have been billed for all along,
and there will be more demand to finish up migration from the general
membership that has gotten away with ignoring the process so far.

Once we've billed out all the back charges, then we can add a percentage
to the monthly charges to save for reserves against future repairs and
upgrades.

Of course if people want to donate cash outright they can do that, but
nobody is under any sort of obligation to do so.  Personally I think we
should have been billing these charges all along.