[HCoop-Discuss] Good time for a disk swap?

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Mon Apr 16 12:40:37 EDT 2007

> One of fyodor's disks is dead, and we need to pick a time to swap in a
> new one.  The collected wisdom of our admins is that there shouldn't be
> any downtime, but it will be InterServer techs doing the work, and they
> might do something unanticipated, or old lady lucky may turn against us.
>
> Thus, I'm writing to ask y'all what you think would be the best times to
> schedule this, to minimize disruption to the members and their web site
> visitors, etc..

I think the good time to do this is as soon as possible; what we really
need to be afraid of is a second failure on our other drive before we get
the first one replaced.

Make sure Interserver has non HCoop email and phone contacts for during
the replacement, in case the server does go down.  Give them the model
number and disk size of the drives from dmesg, so they can swap a disc
with ideally the same model.  I'm not sure how well software raid would
perform if we had two drives of different geometries or spin rates even if
they were the same size.