[HCoop-Discuss] Peer1

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Tue Oct 31 14:31:31 EST 2006

leitgebj at hcoop.net wrote:
> Sorry if this has been discussed... I've been really busy lately and
> haven't been keeping up as well as I should have.  I just wanted to
> confirm that we've received:
>
> 1) Switch from Shaun
> 2) Sun server

Yes to both.
> 3) What is the status of the RAID configuration for the Sun server, if
> we're still going ahead with that part of the plan?

I think the consensus was software RAID at this point.  This was
discussed on IRC, I believe in a couple of the last meetings.
A RAID controller from Sun is $999.  They offer a variety of SCSI cards
too but I believe they do not support RAID in hardware.
I think because this server is just going to be mirroring the
performance hit is not so bad, and also the fact that this server should
not be as disk-intensive, since it will be AFS-mounting all the user data.

Please feel free to discuss this further here (or on IRC for that
matter).  I am planning on travelling to the Philly Linux User Group on
Thursday for the Software RAID talk, and will discuss this with some
eggheads there.