[HCoop-Discuss] Proposal to make Wiki frontpage read-only

Michael Olson mwolson at hcoop.net
Thu Oct 26 08:48:27 EDT 2006

bkhl at hcoop.net (Björn Lindström) writes:

> Michael Olson <mwolson at hcoop.net>:
>
>> Going this far, I am against. Anonymous posters could still
>> contribute useful technical information to our wiki, such as sample
>> configurations for software.
>
> Are there any examples of this actually happening?

Perhaps not, but I can think of several possible plausible scenarios.

 - The maintainer of a program searches the net for references to the
   program, finds our page, and adds a few useful pointers.  I would
   definitely do this if I found a wiki page on Emacs Muse somewhere.

 - A security researcher does a quick survey via a search engine for
   the name of some software and a version number, where the software
   at this version has a vulnerability of some sort at a user-setup
   level, rather than an administrative level.  He or she finds our
   page and adds a warning about ways of using a certain configuration
   directive.

 - Someone follows a "Hosted by HCoop" link from one of our members'
   webpages, sees some spelling errors, and wants to correct them.  He
   or she has not decided whether to bother with joining yet, since
   they have a website hosted elsewhere already, but can sympathize
   with our project.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net