[HCoop-Discuss] .coop tld?

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sun Oct 15 01:17:12 EDT 2006

.coop has come up on the list before.  h.coop is not permissible.
hosting.coop was the top contender.  However .coop domains are expensive
at $100 per year, and the consensus was to hold off.  Besides, we are
established at hcoop.net (and HCoop, Inc. is our legal name as well,
hcoop.coop is kind of redundant), so having an additional .coop domain
name is perhaps somewhat unnecessary.

David W. Bettis wrote:
> I think there was discussion about this when we first decided to
> register a domain.  The sticking point, I think, was whether we
> *legally* qualified as being a coop.  NCBA membership was thrown about,
> but that's expensive.  However, we might qualify  for a .coop domain
> under "organizations that are committed to the seven cooperative
> principles".
We are legally qualified.  Their standards are quite permissive, and in
any event we are officially recognized by the IRS as a tax-exempt
cooperative.

I had looking into NCBA membership before, and the dues are a little
expensive for now.  That is definitely something we should look into
when our revenue is higher.