[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Wed Nov 29 12:00:53 EST 2006

> Nathan Kennedy <ntk at hcoop.net> writes:
>
>> I had previously discussed environmental policy here and in #hcoop and
>> got some positive feedback, but Adam wanted me to bring it up on the
>> list again before we act on it.
>>
>> The immediate action I want to take is to have HCoop buy wind energy
>> credits from NativeEnergy to offset its electricity consumption at
>> Peer1.  At our current level the 5000 megawatt per annum level at $4
>> per month would suffice.  I previously pledged to donate the first
>> year's worth of credits to the co-op, so this will not cost members
>> for a year, and thereafter it should continue to cost well under $0.05
>> per month per member.
>
> I think this is a reasonable idea, but should be put off for a few
> months while we finish migrating to the new machines and ramp up our
> membership. Given that we wouldn't need consensus for such a decision
> I fail to see the damage done by delaying until perhaps February or
> early March.

I see the damage as proceeding without any policy in our largest expansion
effort yet.  I don't even care as much about carbon offsetting or this
particular issue so much as proceeding without any policy at all.  As I
stated on the EnvironmentalPolicy page in July, the longer we wait to
start, the harder it will be to start.  That's a fact.  It may not be hard
to review and change our policy, either by consensus or an appointed
committee, later on, but it will be much harder to implement one if we
have none.  And since I've already offered to pay for the first 12 months
and we could always change it during that time, I don't see where the
"substantial burden" crowd is coming from.

We could have had an environmental policy from Day 1.  We've been
operating as a corporation for almost two years now and as an
unincorporated group for years longer, but we still have no policy
whatsoever.  It's not going to get easier once another 200 members join.

> Perhaps once we are done with migration issues we could buy energy
> credits on a trial basis to see if people join as a result of us
> purchasing them. A few new members (and thus lowered costs for all )
> could be enough to justify the cost to those who don't wish the coop
> to purchase energy credits.

As above, cost for first 12 months is 0, and cost after that is less than
4 cents per membermonth.  Even one member joining would justify the cost
to me.