[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Wed Nov 29 11:46:36 EST 2006

Nathan Kennedy <ntk at hcoop.net> writes:

> I had previously discussed environmental policy here and in #hcoop and
> got some positive feedback, but Adam wanted me to bring it up on the
> list again before we act on it.
>
> The immediate action I want to take is to have HCoop buy wind energy
> credits from NativeEnergy to offset its electricity consumption at
> Peer1.  At our current level the 5000 megawatt per annum level at $4
> per month would suffice.  I previously pledged to donate the first
> year's worth of credits to the co-op, so this will not cost members
> for a year, and thereafter it should continue to cost well under $0.05
> per month per member.

I think this is a reasonable idea, but should be put off for a few
months while we finish migrating to the new machines and ramp up our
membership. Given that we wouldn't need consensus for such a decision
I fail to see the damage done by delaying until perhaps February or
early March.

> From a less altruistic perspective, the tiny cost of going totally
> green presents a great marketing opportunity.  We can use green-e and
> NativeEnergy tags, join the EPA Green Energy Partnership, be listed in
> green business directories, and just generally attract interest as not
> only a unique cooperative providing great service at great value, but
> wind-powered too.

Perhaps once we are done with migration issues we could buy energy
credits on a trial basis to see if people join as a result of us
purchasing them. A few new members (and thus lowered costs for all )
could be enough to justify the cost to those who don't wish the coop
to purchase energy credits.

--
http://unknownlamer.org
Jabber:clinton at hcoop.net
I'm just thinking aloud; isn't thinking allowed?
443E 4F1A E213 7C54 A306  E328 7601 A1F0 F403 574B