[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Wed Nov 29 00:33:26 EST 2006

> This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because I don't believe anyone is
> really suggesting this.  But where do we draw the line?

Line-drawing is part of life.  You are using a straw-man argument and
admitting to it.  Why don't we offset the carbon used to power routers on
the backbone?  Because they're not our routers?  Is it really that
complicated?  There are plenty of things at the borderline, but that
doesn't mean there's a slippery slope.

I am saying at a minimum baseline, social responsibility demands that the
power we are directly purchasing for our operations be as clean as is
practical.  We didn't buy the power used to manufacture our server.  Some
subcontractor of Dell did.  And we are not in the server-manufacturing
business.  We are, however, directly buying the power to run our server,
and we need to take responsibility at least for that.