[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

David W. Bettis dwb at hcoop.net
Wed Nov 29 00:16:51 EST 2006

It came to mind that if we're going to pay carbon credits for:
* Hosting our server (Peer1)

Might it also be the right thing to pay for carbon used in the following
fixed costs:
* Manufacturing the server (Intel/AMD, countless circuit manufacturers)
* The energy used to refine the resources
* The energy used to extract the resources  to manufacture the server
(mining firms)

Might it also be the right thing to pay for carbon used in the following
services:
* Some fraction of the power used to maintain any router touched by any
packet originating to/from Hcoop (backbone providers, lots of tier-3 ISPs)
* Carbon used in facilitating any financial transactions (Wells Fargo &
Paypal)

This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because I don't believe anyone is
really suggesting this.  But where do we draw the line?