[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

Aaron Hsu arcfide at sacrificumdeo.net
Tue Nov 28 20:13:00 EST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Nathan Kennedy wrote:

> I had previously discussed environmental policy here and in #hcoop and
> got some positive feedback, but Adam wanted me to bring it up on the
> list again before we act on it.
>
> The immediate action I want to take is to have HCoop buy wind energy
> credits from NativeEnergy to offset its electricity consumption at
> Peer1.  At our current level the 5000 megawatt per annum level at $4
> per month would suffice.  I previously pledged to donate the first
> year's worth of credits to the co-op, so this will not cost members
> for a year, and thereafter it should continue to cost well under $0.05
> per month per member.
>
> I think this is important and beneficial for many reasons, outlined at
> EnvironmentalPolicy on the wiki, and I propose that the board adopt
> all the proposals at that page as official HCoop policy henceforth.

I am afraid that at this point, I must express my strong desire NOT
to proceed as proposed. Most of the suggestions on the
EnvironmentalPolicy wiki I do like, recycling our equipment and using
paper, etc. is simply common sense. I have a strong resistance
currently to paying (even a small amount) these organizations. These
do not stem from a resistance to the support of these types of energy
saving projects. However, I have not had time to research these
companies, and many of these organizations seem to also use the money
to fund other projects which I do not support. That is, I am not
interested in providing funding for the EPA, or any special interest
groups which tend to be associated with these types of "Green" projects.

If someone could point me to some of the resources that might give me
some more detailed information about where these organizations spend
their money, I would be able to more quickly assess my personal
opinion about this action. I do like the idea of a private
organization or co-op like ourselves funding a project to assist in
private companies building and creating cleaner energy plants, etc. I
do not like the idea of an organization llike ours providing funds to
a company or organization which also spends these funds, not only on
private action, but political lobbying to impel government to action,
usually in the form of regulation and legislation. So long as these
organizations are strictly operating only in the private sector, I'm
okay; if these organizations attempt to achieve their ends through
government intervention, however, I would like to express my strong
opposition.

Aaron W. Hsu

arcfide at sacrificumdeo.net
Phone: 703-597-7656