[HCoop-Discuss] Comments on recruitment/fundraising

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Mon Nov 20 19:31:51 EST 2006

Lots of good ideas all around.  The discussion on expansion and
recruitment has been going on a long time before Graham joined so he's
probably not familiar with all the background.  A few of our members were
satisfied with our size when we had 60 members (as a handful were when we
had 30), but we generally agreed that having one managed server and one
dedicated server on a second-rate network was not a good solution for
providing a high level of service, and secondly, with our organic growth
we were already starting to get within range of outgrowing our current
arrangement.  Fyodor was a small step (our current 100 members would swamp
Abulafia), but Peer1 was the next big step.

It's hard to talk about absolute growth targets, but in the near-term when
we finish setting up at Peer1, I would say we should target 300 shared
host members at a minimum, and see how that goes on the way.  Obviously if
we have Xen or colo members, they would utilize much more of our quarter
cabinet.

1. It is okay to accept donations from members, as we already have.  It is
not okay to accept them from nonmembers, e.g. Amazon commissions.  We
actually can, up 15% of our income, but it is a pain to deal with.  Also
we are not a charity, we are a cooperative serving our members, so it
would be ludicrous to expect outside donors, and we certainly should not
expect outright donations from our members, although a number of our
members have done just that with in-kind donations to help us get off the
ground.

2. We could do advertising promotions like a free year, or adsense, but I
think we should concentrate on the more grassroots techniques that have
proven effective so far.  Like what I talked with Justin about flyering
universities.  What Terry has been doing for a long time very effectively,
in referring people on the internet in a nonspammy fashion and listing us
on tables of providers, he has brought in quite a few new members and
deserves a lot of thanks for that.  I did traditional ads on
www.ghastlycomic.com (warning: very NSFW and ghastly) that brought in at
least one member, and on Kuro5hin.org that brought a good bit of interest.

Adsense is crowded with hosting providers though and I think it would be
expensive and not as effective.

more later,