[HCoop-Discuss] other thing to note

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Thu Nov 9 21:49:38 EST 2006

Justin S. Leitgeb wrote:
> Even though the likelihood of something happening to our equipment may
> be small, can we ask our Peer 1 rep to point us towards an insurance
> company that covers other organizations in their colocation center?  It
> might not be that much for our relatively small amount of equipment, and
> that way we would be able to stop worrying about the TOS.  A quote for
> coverage based on the estimated value of our equipment should be quick
> and free.
>
> Either way, thanks for your notes on this, Nate.  It does sound like we
> should go ahead with Peer 1 regardless of the outcome of the insurance
> issue.
>
> Justin
I think that would be a bad idea for a few reasons.  If we want to argue
that they are waiving this term we don't want to push how we can comply
with it.  And I doubt they would be much help on it since they are not
asking for it from their customers and those few that do are probably
large companies that include it in a larger general liability business
insurance for all the company's activities.

If we really wanted to buy insurance I think it would be better to
research it independently of Peer1, but I suspect the price is big
enough to make it a much worse deal than those providers that do not
require this insurance.  Remember the insurance the terms dictate does
not benefit us!  If we wanted to insure our own servers against loss,
that would require a separate policy.