[HCoop-Discuss] SVN security issues

Max Bowsher maxb1 at ukf.net
Wed Nov 8 09:10:08 EST 2006

Karl Chen wrote:

>     Max> Where would you envisage a potential exec helper being
>     Max> configured? I suppose in httpd.conf and/or on the
>     Max> svnserve command line?
>
> I propose:
> - On startup, record
>     char const *svn_hook_helper = getenv("SVN_HOOK_HELPER")
> - In run_hook_cmd() or its callers, prepend svn_hook_helper to the
>   exec arguments, if it is not null.
>
> The administrator would configure Apache+mod_dav_svn:
>     SetEnv SVN_HOOK_HELPER /path/to/svnhookhelper

Why an environment variable?

They are somewhat transient and often overlooked, and not always easy to
arrange to be set for daemons. Not something I would let anywhere near
security configuration, if I have a choice.

Moreover, the above code sample won't work, since httpd's SetEnv only
sets real environment variables in subprocesses, which mod_dav_svn isn't.

No, if we do this, it definitely has to be a clear part of the server
configuration, I think.

Max.