[HCoop-Discuss] comments on payment schemes

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sun Jul 23 19:29:38 EDT 2006

Justin S. Leitgeb wrote:
> Adam Chlipala wrote:
>

>> No, our capacity choices for the new scheme are based on projections of
>> likely membership size in the next few years.  We will be underutilizing
>> what we set up, so the actual usage of any particular member will be
>> trivial compared to all of the resources available.  I think the amount
>> of unused resources will be several times larger than the amount of used
>> resources, meaning that any costs assigned based on real usage will be
>> insignificant compared to the remaining cost of unused stuff.  Now what
>> to do with the rest?  Ideally (and with the laws of physics tweaked), we
>> would charge them to future users now, but, since we can't do that,
>> splitting mostly evenly among current members seems reasonable,
>> _especially_ given the _tiny_ cost of an even share of the $750/mo. with
>> our current membership size.
>>

> Practically and philosophically, I also think that splitting costs, more
> or less evenly among members, is the best way to go.
>
> Justin
We have a number of members who will object to paying $13 or so per
month, and would leave, meaning we would unfortunately have fewer
members and the costs would go up as well, until we could recruit more.
Adam's idea is not to have costs be equal, but for some to contribute
more on a voluntary basis.

Legally these additional amounts would probably be considered gifts too,
since they are not in consideration for anything.