[HCoop-Discuss] comments on payment schemes

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sun Jul 23 18:36:25 EDT 2006

Nathan Kennedy wrote:

>1. I think any scheme dependent on members voluntarily paying more or
>less based on willingness, and not usage or some other factor, is a
>terrible idea. [snip]
>
>2. I would like to reiterate that I think it would be a big mistake to
>enforce equal dues and equal services for every member, and I think
>Terrence is spot-on here.

But consider what the causal relationship is between member resource
usage and how much we pay for colocation: until we reach a saturation
point where Peer 1's offer is no longer good enough for us, there is no
relationship at all!  So why base monthly dues towards colocation costs
on resource usage?  I can see it more for one-time costs of buying new
hardware as we outgrow old hardware, but that should happen infrequently
enough that the issues are much less important.