[HCoop-Discuss] comments on payment schemes

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sun Jul 23 18:30:12 EDT 2006

1. I think any scheme dependent on members voluntarily paying more or
less based on willingness, and not usage or some other factor, is a
terrible idea.  Granted it is very nice if someone does make a one-off
donation, but we should not institutionalize it as a way of doing
business.  HCoop is not a charity, and members should not feel that
their dues are gifts.  Essentially anyone paying more than the minimum
required "share" would be subsidizing everyone else's service.  This
would also create undue pressure on members to pay more dues lest they
be a "bad" member, or to give deference to users paying high shares
because they are "patrons."  I think we should assess dues on rational
basis, and members should be required to pay them and no more, large or
small, and there should be no pressure whatsoever to give more.  This is
the only way to run a business, even a cooperative business.

2. I would like to reiterate that I think it would be a big mistake to
enforce equal dues and equal services for every member, and I think
Terrence is spot-on here.  Our capacity is large, and some members have
much greater need than other members.  It is only logical that we should
assess dues based on actual usage, just as every single web-hosting
business out there does.  Remember, if we cannot compete with the
thousands of other web hosting services out there on the basic
requirements of price and service, our co-op is doomed.  Every
web-hosting service either offers multiple plans priced according to
resource limits, or according to actual metered usage.

It is unflexible and unfair to offer a one-size-fits all plan, having
users who barely use HCoop at all pay the same rates and subsidizing
heavy users serving many gigs of media file monthly.  It is also
economically unsustainable, because it will mean that these users will
be forced to our cheaper competitors who provide a more rational pricing
scheme.