[Hcoop-discuss] Two notes

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Tue Jan 31 22:06:26 EST 2006

1. Interestingly, the order page for interservecr's net backup services
seems to finally be up again.

2. Besides retained earnings and loans from members, we do always have the
option of obtaining outside financing if we want to buy nice expensive
servers.  While we don't have much of a credit history, I think the
National Cooperative Bank would float us a thou or twenty, which we could
pay back in monthly instalments over the next few years.  This would
certainly be cheaper than financing offered by a colo/hosting provider,
and obviously more flexible.  Obviously the more we finance ourselves the
less the coop would end up paying in interest in the long run, but this
would enable us to leverage a lot more buying power--and also would ensure
not only that every member was contributing to financing, but would also
spread the financing of the server out over its actual users.

Of course we don't want spend money to vastly increase our infrastructure
while our current infrastructure is still very underutilized, so this is
still in the realm of future (but hopefully near-term future) planning.