[Hcoop-discuss] Next hardware configuration/Email service

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Sun Jan 29 09:41:13 EST 2006

The high cost that I estimated for setting up multiple servers was
really what motivated me to ask about co-location before hardware or
specific configuration details.  I couldn't imagine the co-op coming up
with more than what would be needed for a single, solid 1U server.
Specifically I was thinking that we could build up from something like a
Dell Poweredge 1850, which is 1U and would set us back at least $3000
per unit with any kind of hardware RAID (this would give us RAID 1 with
2 300 GB disks, but only 1 CPU).

Although I think it would be great if hcoop could buy a rack full of
servers within the next year, I don't think that this is necessary, or
even the best way to grow, at least financially.  We should be able to
move in a positive direction one server at a time for now.  We can start
by putting services on other boxes as we have resources to do so.  With
one 1850 I was thinking that we could do something like moving mail
(IMAP and sendmail) off of fyodor onto the new server.  Services like
IMAP shouldn't be on shared servers anyway, so this would be a healthy
move both for hcoop members who use email and those who don't rely on it
so much.  The cost for a configuration like this could be offset by
opening up hcoop services to a new population.  Searching the web for a
minute I didn't find any co-operative email providers, and I think that
this would be a great thing for individuals interested in more
socially-conscious alternatives to gmail.  We could use IMAP,
squirrelmail, and a few small custom programs to open up email services
to non-technical users for a small fee.

Looking forward to feedback!

Justin