[Hcoop-discuss] next server set-up - colocation questions

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Fri Jan 27 13:46:23 EST 2006

> - Their bandwidth prices are extremely uncompetitive.  Their quote to me
> included 50 GB/mo. in a $175/mo. managed server package, with a
> $2/GB/mo. charge for usage beyond that.  Their cheapest bulk bandwidth
> option beyond that would be $350/mo. for a 0.5 Mbps connection.
> Contrast that with the 1 TB/mo. we get with our current $150/mo.
> dedicated server plan.  GAIA's pricing just doesn't scale if it's to be
> the home of any of our main servers.

If they are firm as to these bandwidth prices, that knocks them out of the
game.  We simply can't afford to scale at those bandwidth prices.  Also,
they don't quote any collocation options, and while we may choose
dedicated server, if we're looking for a place where we might want to
expand into 4U, half-rack or full-rack later on, we need to pick a place
with collocation.  This tends to weed out the smaller players without much
infrastructure anyway.

I have a suspicion that we may be rapidly grow to be bigger than GAIAhost
(in terms of revenue,--they only have four worker-owners, who also
maintain their commune & I suspect some of whom may have other day-jobs as
well) before too long anyway.  It would be nice if we could partner with
them in growth, but they would need to prove that their service is as good
as their website claims and provide bandwidth closer to market prices.

> Actually, they are on fyodor, but they're under the "users" list.  This
> was the list name I chose back when we were an informal group of 5 or so
> people sharing a server, and it contains some things that are unrelated
> to HCoop.  Those archives are only available to people who were
> subscribed to that list when it was decommissioned.  I could make them
> available to everyone if that turns out to be really important.

Blah, how quickly I forget.  It's fine as is.  Users was a different list
anyway, just as long as the archives are being preserved.