[Hcoop-discuss] next server set-up - colocation questions

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Fri Jan 27 12:59:32 EST 2006

> Hi all,
>
> Moving towards a new server, and an architecture that is scaleable in
> the ways discussed in this list, including Adam's post copied below,
> let's talk about co-location.  Sorry in advance if this is redundant, I
> am new to the list...

Just as a note, you can catch up and review old postings in the archives
at http://hcoop.net/pipermail/hcoop-discuss/

Unfortunately they only go back to September '05, we didn't migrate the
archives from the old server (although I think they are still on abu and
it would be easy enough to merge them just by catting the mbox to the
beginning of the archive mbox on fyodor, the script generates html from
that file).

> On our co-location wiki page
> (http://wiki.hcoop.net/wiki/ColocationPlans), it looks like a four
> providers have been discussed.  Starting off the list we have GAIA Host
> (http://www.gaiahost.coop), which is a hosting co-operative.  Since
> most, if not all co-operatives seem to think it is valuable to help
> other co-operatives, what does everyone think about using this provider
> for co-location?  Has there been any discussion between our
> co-operatives?  Is this a viable option?  If we have spoken with this
> co-op, what are we looking at for monthly costs for a 1U or 2U server?
>
> Are there compelling reasons to choose any other provider over this one?
>
> Looking forward to hearing what our co-op has discussed in terms of
> colocation options!

I agree that we should give special deference & preference to doing
business with other cooperatives and businesses that share cooperative
values, a la the Rochdale principles.  However if we are to fulfill our
objective of cooperatively providing a valuable service to all our
members, this has to be but one consideration.

There had been a series of communications with Gaiahost previously.  The
main concern is that we are actually picking a reliable and quality
hosting provider from the vast pool of providers out there of disparate
and varying quality and value.  There's thousands of providers starting
out and going out of business all the time, and from our own experience it
can be difficult to figure out the quality ahead of time.  From this pool
of providers, very few have nontraditional ownership and management.
GAIAhost is, I believe, the only cooperative we have found that provides
rackspace or dedicated servers according to our needs.  (CCCP does as well
and might be worth looking into, but it seems to be a nonprofit supporting
charitable/community nonprofits only).  I think our concerns in particular
with Gaiahost are its newness, lack of reputation, its ability to provide
appropriate support with its staff (they did not seem to have staff
directly onsite), and most concerningly a spotty history of responding to
our inquiries.

I don't think we should rule them out, in fact I think we should look at
them again, and I do think that as a matter of Rochdale Principles
<http://wiki.hcoop.net/wiki/SevenPrinciples> we should look defentially
towards fellow cooperatives.  But we need to be careful what we get into,
both out of obligation towards the membership as a whole and as sound
"business" principles.  In particular, choosing gaiahost a priori just
because it's the ONLY cooperative hosting provider would be a big mistake.