[Hcoop-discuss] I need disk space

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Mon Jan 16 08:53:38 EST 2006

Terrence Brannon wrote:

>I would like to note that the decision to fix the disk space size was
>not made democratically. It was slipped in without announcement during
>migration from old hcoop to new hcoop.

First, I'd like to point out that you've taken a wholly inappropriate
tone here, as you often have in the past.  We have never had any kind of
informal commitment to democratic determination of technical policy.
I'm sure that you don't want to be informed of every administrative
decision that is required to keep HCoop running.  You need only ask
about any policy if you think it should be changed; I don't think you or
anyone else has ever raised this issue in an official forum before.

Since we have a majority of free disk space at the moment, we should
certainly be able to accommodate requests of this magnitude for disk
space.  The main question is if we charge extra for it.  I know that in
the future it will clearly make sense to do so, since we'll want to
allow arbitrary scaling-up of disk space with appropriate payment.  Any
thoughts on what to do in the near future?  I expect/hope that we'll
switch to a new server set-up sooner rather than later, which is why I
make this temporal distinction between policies.