[Hcoop-discuss] regarding admin's and responsibilities

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Mon Jan 16 08:43:56 EST 2006

Sorry for the delayed response.  I've been traveling with limited
Internet access.

I agree with Davor that adding more admins is not a solution, though
Tanveer probably didn't mean to suggest that.  We need to come up with
some more precise criteria for the duties of an admin, and then find
people who can meet these criteria:

- Schedules of guaranteed time commited to HCoop.  We should find an
admin line-up that has reasonably uniform coverage of time periods, and
each admin should have a posted schedule that he is obligated to adhere
to.  Even if we have spotty coverage, making the schedules official is a
big improvement.
- Guarantee of minimum 24-hour turn-around on any HCoop-related e-mail.
All admins should be reasonably easy to contact by e-mail.  (I think I
maintained this property for myself even while I was traveling, handling
any unhandled support requests I found during my daily e-mail check.)
- Official notice of any period when these duties can't be fulfilled.
If anything comes up that makes an admin too busy to fulfill any one of
his duties, then he should provide official notice of what time period
this will cover, so that we can re-shuffle schedules to ensure adequate
coverage.  I think it is reasonable to waive this requirement only for
the most dire and unexpected situations.
- Ability to handle any issue.  It makes sense to assign a primary admin
to deal with non-time-critical issues about each service, but everyone
with root access should be able to handle any emergency.

Some other issues:

Given what I believe is the wide appeal of HCoop, I don't think there's
any reason to settle for any admin who doesn't have substantial
professional sysadmin experience.

When we determine exactly what admin coverage we need, we can figure out
what, if any, additional compensation to admins is necessary to maintain
enough competence and dedication.

I am not a sysadmin.  I don't know many basic things about system
administration, and I don't want to learn... but I think I've still had
and can continue to have much to contribute so far as software
infrastructure goes.  This means that it's useful to have input from
experienced sysadmins (and others) related to how to implement new
HCoop-specific infrastructure.  I'd like to have a more open process for
deciding on technical policies.  Ideally, every decision should be
documented on the wiki, and the whole mass of decisions should be
relatively easy to navigate through.  Every new decision should be made
after a discussion on this mailing list, and from time to time we should
have outsiders perform a complete audit of our policies and procedures.
It's probably time to do this last thing relatively soon, though
possibly after moving to a new primary server set-up.