[Hcoop-discuss] Server pricing

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Thu Feb 16 00:01:09 EST 2006

Adam Chlipala wrote:

>What I'm wondering is exactly what we ought to consider to be on the
>list of things keeping us from being at the point where we should talk
>about this.
>
>In particular, what do y'all think about when we should be asking colo
>providers for package prices (including hardware, if they will provide
>it, which I know some do), based on a rough outline of our needs that we
>come up with?  (Did this thread already provide a good enough outline?)

I think that this would be very useful.  In fact, I don't see any reason
that we can't start compiling information now.  Once we get numbers
perhaps we can make more concrete goals towards the new architecture.  I
will volunteer myself to compile any quotes that people submit to the
list.  To summarize the specs we seem to be looking for in terms of
hardware (although these are somewhat rough and there is plenty of space
for suggestions):

1) Web and login servers (quantity == 2):  RAID 1, perhaps 73 GB
available space, minimum 1 GB RAM.  1U machines would be ideal.
2) Fileserver: RAID 5, perhaps SATA with 4 x 400 GB or 500 GB disks,
RAID controller.  2U or slightly larger would be better for more disk
space as we grow.

Of course, since we are a coop, and (hopefully) human beings concerned
with ethical issues, low power utilization would be good.  All of the
standard server things that we look for in servers apply, such as
redundant cooling, hardware tested with linux, etc.

Also we want to compile a list of hosting providers we might be
interested in.  Things to look for would include, but are not limited to:

1) Bandwidth
2) Redundancy of connections
3) Fire suppression, raised floors, controlled access
4) "Remote hands" so someone can fix our servers in an emergency
5) Length of time in business
6) Responsible corporate practices, perhaps not-for-profit or adherence
to co-operative  principles.

To start discussion of hosting providers, I will re-submit to the list
the (informal but probably unchanged) quote I got from he.net, a company
I have hosted small sites with in the past.  Basically, they start you
off with 7U and 1Mbps for $300/month.  More details are copied below.

He.net quote:

***************
  BASIC PRICING:  7u Shared rack space is available only in San
Jose. Bandwidth prices apply to both our Fremont and SJ Data Centers.

  	1Mbps   ($300 per month) Includes 7U (12")
	2Mbps   ($200 per Mbps per month up to 4Mbps
	5Mbps   ($150 per Mbps per month up to 10Mbps
	10Mbps  ($100 per Mbps)

	20 Mbps @ $75/Mbps  on 100 base T
	100 Mbps @ $20/Mbps on 100 base T
	100 Mbps @ $35/Mbps on Gigabit Ethernet
	200 Mbps @ $30/Mbps on Gigabit Ethernet

The new 100 Mbps on 100 base T special for $2000/month (listed above) does
not include a cabinet, and doesn't have any special restrictions regarding
connecting to other cabinets.

Bandwidth Rates above your subscribed bandwidth:

        1 Mbps $300  per Mbps or $30 per 1/10th Mbps
	2-4Mbps $200 per Mbps or $25 per 1/10th Mbps
	5-9Mbps $150 per Mbps or $15 per 1/10th Mbps
	10 Mbps $100 per Mbps or $10 per 1/10th Mbps
	20 Mbps $ 75 per Mbps or $7.50 per 1/10th Mbps

NOTE: All bandwidth is charged based on monthly sustained traffic.

  Full cabinet(42U) including 2Mbps is $1,000 per month  Fremont
  Data Center with a one time set up fee of $500

  Full rack, San Jose 55S Market St $600 per month with a $600 setup fee
  Bandwidth prices in San Jose are the same as listed  above. Minimim
  2Mbps is required in San Jose.

  Fremont cabinets are 19" wide, 72"(42U) tall. Cabinets accomodates
  servers up to 28" inches  deep. 15Amps is provided in each cabinet.
  Back rails are optional for a one-time lease fee of $65. Cabinet price
  is $1K per month.  There is a one time set up fee at our Fremont
  Facility of $500.

 ****************
  SHELVES vs RACKMOUNT:  You have a choice.  Shelved are available for
  a one time charge of $60.

 ****************
 ROOF ACCESS: Available in FREMONT.

 ****************
 TAPE CHANGING:
    Monday through Friday 	  $125 per month
    Weekly (one tape, once a week)$50 per month
    Daily			  $150 per month

 BILLING INFORMATION:
 REMOTE MONITORING for COLOCATION:
 We provide you with a URL to view a MRTG to monitor your in/out
 bandwidth. We do no NOT limit your bandwidth. The MRTG URL allows you to
 view  your bandwidth usage 24/7.  Visit the MRTG URL below for more
 details. We bill based on the 95%.