[Hcoop-discuss] Next hardware configuration/Email service

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Thu Feb 2 16:25:00 EST 2006

Adam Chlipala wrote:

>Maybe we have different ideas of what a "proper" back-up is.  I think
>it's OK for any IMAP files that are being modified to be lost or
>corrupted in the backup images, assuming each message gets its own
>file.  (Most messages are only modified at receipt time, so we'll catch
>them in the next backup.)  We are currently backing up all mailboxes
>on-disk with rsnapshot (a script based on rsync), and I'm not aware of
>any IMAP-specific correctness problems with the scheme.  Are you just
>worried about performance?

No, I guess I was just worried about lost messages and (possibly)
corrupted database files.  I don't have a ton of experience on loaded
IMAP systems, other than the personal server I run at home for
convenience, and the reading I've done on the web.  There is a good page
on backing up cyrus IMAP servers on the Cyrus wiki:

http://acs-wiki.andrew.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/Backup

Maybe as our volume increases, and we want to do things the "correct"
way these methods may be helpful... right now I know I don't care enough
about a lost message or two to fix it on fyodor myself.

>Like I said before, things are easier if we only have to apply "heavy
>duty" backup techniques to a single filesystem.  This is why it's
>preferable to back up IMAP files to the shared filesystem, if that's not
>their primary home.

Yeah, this should work -- we could stop the server for 5 minutes while
we get an rsync snapshot, then bring it back up, then back up the
finished copy made with rsync.

>Justin S. Leitgeb wrote:
>

>>The point is that AFS alone is not going to deal with performance
>>issues.  Real-world web sites can stress even large machines by today's
>>standards.  I just think that we need to recognize this out front, and
>>realize that we can't scrimp on the disk configuration of the fileserver
>>-- RAID 10 may be something we should consider if we really want to go
>>down that route, and it won't be cheap.  We will also want loads of
>>memory in the front-end servers so that they can cache rather than
>>introducing additional overhead assembling AFS packets.
>>

>We could do this in a forward-looking way by putting in the
>infrastructure for this sort of organization, but just not including
>much capacity.  A simple proof that this would work to start out with is
>the fact that we get by fine with our current server specs, and in fact
>we are underutilizing what we have.  Maybe RAID 10 and RAM are not
>cheap, but we wouldn't need much of them to start out with.  We'd still
>be able to gain valuable experience using them in our initially
>undemanding setting.
>
>In any case, it's probably a good idea to pick out a few most promising
>hardware configurations, price them out, and see what seems worth the cost.

Sounds good.

Justin