[HCoop-Discuss] Apache choice?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu Dec 14 13:25:14 EST 2006

Dmitriy Morozov wrote:

>Since I joined only recently, and purely out of curiosity (to advance
>my own understanding of how things work), I would like to ask a
>question that you might find silly. Nonetheless: how (and why) was the
>choice of using Apache as the webserver made? (as opposed to say
>lighttpd or anything else?)

Whether or not there are reasons that we should have made different
choices, I'd say it's too late now for the near future, as we have
already made significant plans, divided up responsibilities, and spent
non-trivial time implementing custom tools based on those plans.  There
is still a good chunk of that work left to do, and I would like to
request that this topic be dropped until the new servers are ready and
all current members migrated.  We need all the focus we can get on
making that gargantuan effort go smoothly.