[Hcoop-discuss] Tax forms etc.

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Fri Apr 14 04:21:00 EDT 2006

Hello people,

First of all I would like to apologize about my absence and general
flakiness of the past month.  Basically life has been living hell (with
some bright spots :-), I think Frank probably has some idea what I'm
going through.  Things will be much much better starting mid-May.

I took responsibility for the tax forms both in my position as secretary
and by positive affirmation a while back.  I had told Adam a few weeks
ago that I had basically finished preparing the forms, but I had not
been happy with my figures and kept putting off going over it again.
Because our tax obligation is so low, our tax-exemption application is
pending, and this is our first year of operation as a legal entity, I
expect that the IRS will be forgiving--but because I took full
responsibility for the forms, I will personally indemnify the co-op for
any lateness penalties, i.e. if the IRS assesses any additional charges
due to our income tax form being submitted in an untimely fashion this
year, it will be taken out of my HCOOP account rather than assessed to
the general membership.

Another thing I found in reading the instructions unfortunately is that
corporate income tax forms are not due April 15 like personal income tax
forms, but rather the 15th of the month three months after the end of
the corporation's accounting year.  According to our documents our
accounting year ends Dec 3, so I am guessing that this would be March
15th and that the form may be already due, although there may be special
provisions for us given that we only incorporated last February, I am
not entirely sure.

In any event, my latest version of the form 1120-A is at
http://hcoop.net/board/hcoopreturn.pdf
I was not able to check the boxes in the PDF, so the boxes I will check are:
E (1) Initial Return
F (1) Cash
II 5 (b) no
II 6 no
II 7 yes

Total tax obligation is $143.00 (15% of retained earnings).

I did not deduct depreciation for Abulafia.  This would require an
additional schedule, and there are strict rules regarding depreciation
for federal income tax purposes, and given the negligible savings that
we would incur from that I thought it would be best to keep it simple.

I can send this out any time, and I can also provide the tax check, to
be credited to my HCOOP account once it clears.

Hopefully we will get a letter of exemption from the IRS within the next
six months and this will be both the first and last income tax form that
HCOOP needs to file.

By the way the second board election ended with 11 votes for all three
candidates.  Not bad turnout considering all candidates were incumbents
so the result was pretty much predetermined this year.

-Nathan