[Hcoop-discuss] Web passwords

Karl Chen quarl at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 14 15:45:10 EDT 2005

    Ryan> Frankly, I do believe that ssh-keys should really be the
    Ryan> universal method of logging in on every website in the
    Ryan> world.  Just upload the public key and viola.  Instant
    Ryan> recognition.  But obviously it doesn't make sense for
    Ryan> one reason or the other, else it would have been done by
    Ryan> now.  Then again, our lovely Corporations would probably
    Ryan> never let it happen.

Actually, you're describing SSL client keys.  It was introduced in
SSL 3.0 / TLS.  They're not widely supported because it requires
PKI, however Verisign claims to have distributed a million client
certificates.

Since hcoop uses its own root certificate it wouldn't be hard to
issue everyone client certificates.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_howto.html

--
Karl 2005-10-14 12:40