[Hcoop-discuss] On-disk backup policy

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Wed Nov 23 21:49:30 EST 2005

Months ago, I set up rsnapshot on fyodor to create on-disk backups of
/home and /etc.  It uses hard links to save a remarkable amount of
space, such that we currently have 12 additional copies of old versions
of /home and /etc stored on /home!

However, all these copies still use up space, especially for files that
change often.  I left the default settings for number of different
backup images to store at once:
    interval        daily   7
    interval        weekly  4
    interval        monthly 6

With these settings, it looks like we have ratios as bad as 3/4 of space
used by a user being associated with backups.  Does anyone have any
suggestions on what more appropriate counts would be?  I'm thinking
something like daily 2, weekly 1, and monthly 1.

Also, I'm still hoping someone will take on finding the right ferm rules
to enable us to mount a local NFS share, which presents backups to users
to restore themselves when needed.  It's not possible to just grant
users access to the backup directories, because then they'd be able to
modify them, since the backups also preserve file permissions.