[Hcoop-discuss] Next steps for HCoop

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Fri Dec 2 18:17:09 EST 2005

> Given that the discussion originally started off as an attempt to increase
> our number of users and to reach out, maybe we'd make more headway if we
> "advertise" to a more specific group. Most of the suggestions that came up
> earlier (posting on tech. boards, slashdot etc.) are all in that
> direction.
>
> Once we're "large" enough to make alternate arrangements for different
> "classes" of users, we could start advertising to a more general group.
>
> Right now, I still feel that hcoop is a techie place and that it's best
> suited for technically minded users who like to have some idea about
> what's under the hood.

I feel pretty much the same way.  I think by word of mouth so far we've
mostly spread through techie venues, and I think it's good to continue to
do so and also to advertise mainly to techies at this point if we decide
to buy ads.  I just think we should also look to other possibilities and
not have any sort of litmus test.  Someone mentioned flyering earlier, and
I think that's a great idea.  Lots of big universities have poles and
bulletin boards that people can post to.  I know SDF (sdf.lonestar.org)
has had a flyering campaign for a while targeting students losing their
UNIX shells and/or college email/webhosting in particular.  Someone should
check out their flyers and make some unique HCOOP flyers.  I could try to
find some legal places to flyer around NYC.