[Bond-users] Bond vs. Glom for small clinic

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Mon Dec 29 06:01:17 EST 2008

>>>>> "Colin" == Colin Close <itchka at compuserve.com> writes:

Hi Colin,

Colin> Hi Gour, I have used Bond to created a visiting database
Colin> application. If you are happy to try and learn Python you won't
Colin> find Bond too difficult.

Well, I'm prepared to learn...

Colin> Several years ago I spent a long time looking for something that
Colin> would do what Bond can do and believe me it is head and shoulders
Colin> above anything else I found. It is also great fun!!

Frankly speaking, I also do not see many options...knoda looks dead,
kexi is not ready and was crashing a lot when I played with it.

Only, Glom which I still did not install (fiddling with its deps) and
Bond.

Colin> As Dru says in his mail if you are prepared to create your
Colin> database structure in postgresql and take a small amount of time
Colin> (and I do mean small) to learn its function language pl/pgsql
Colin> Bond will do the job for you.  I started off by using one the
Colin> ready created Bond applications (Paymaster) which I used as a
Colin> foundation for my visits database.  Paymaster has lots of good
Colin> examples of how to implement things like searches, lists and
Colin> reports.

Is it possible to access Bond apps from outside?

Colin> If you decide to use Bond I can let you have a copy of the app I
Colin> have written which will give a lot more examples of what can be
Colin> done with the more modern incarnations of Bond.

Thanks a lot. I'll yell if decide to got with Bond ;)

Colin> Simply put get yourself postgresql, pgadmin3 (for database
Colin> management and function development), Bond

That's I already have installed...

Colin> and KDE's Kate as your development environment. Its best to use
Colin> the Kate from KDE3 since the KDE4 version does not yet have the
Colin> xml checking plugin.

...but no KDE here (actually I do not use any DE - only plain xmonad)
and Emacs is my editor ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D