[Bond-users] release update

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Wed Oct 31 10:55:52 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 03:27:58PM +0100, Ibrahim Shaame wrote:
> With all respect to bond programmers and maintainers, I think with
> "configure - make - make install" I would have solved my problems a while
> ago.

(Btw, I am in no any relation with Bond or Treshna).

Your problems would not have been solved with  C + M + M I  because
your errors were of different nature and not related to Make vs. Scons problem.

> I am not good in scons but I was expecting it to be easier, but the
> result is that I have not managed to install bond and it does not say what's
> wrong. I don't think when bond gives you this type of message it is question
> of being experienced in compiling or not:
> "src/bondapi.c:81: error: too few arguments to function `bonddb_loadall'
> scons: *** [src/bondapi.o] Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors."
>
> Is this an error caused by inexperienced person compiling?

People who try to compile things must understand that compiling
is just one level above actual coding.

While the error you point out indeed is related to Bond code
(and not to missing libs, invalid paths etc.), it is still
- in my opinion - considered part of usual compile troubleshooting.

In any case, I didn't have any intention to bring this to a
personal level... I remember seeing a few emails that
I have mentally put into the "not bond's fault" or "could have been
solved by person themselves" category and I said what I said based
on that (names and specific emails are irrelevant).

Also, you are only competing with yourself here, so asking for
technical help and being able to take well-intended criticism will
move you forward, while complaining or taking things personally
will not.

-doc