[Bond-users] BUG? Report Build System

Colin Close itchka at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 6 05:10:01 EDT 2007

Hi All at Treshna,

I have just successfully built the latest SVN on a dual processor x86_64
architecture however in I had to do some pretty strange things to do it.
It would seem that although I had all the necessary libraries installed
to allow me to build both bonddb and bond I was unable to build bond.
Scons kept insisting that even though I had successfully built bonddb it
was not installed.  I got over this problem by setting the pkgconfig
variable to point to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig and copying bonddb.pc to
that directory however bond would still not build since it could not
find the other required system libraries.
After much messing about with PKG_CONFIG_PATH I managed to discover that
the only way I could get it to build was to temporarily copy my
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig directory to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig after which
everything built fine. No amount of setting the pkgconfig variable to
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig would allow bond to build; if I set the pkgconfig
variable to include both locations then scons would find the installed
bondb in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig but still would not find the system
libraries. I don't quite know whats going on but it seems that scons is
hard coded to only accept the pkgconfig variable as
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig as in my case the variable had to be set before
build so it was clear that scons was using it the only other possibility
is that scons is truncating the path but I thing I should have excluded
that by putting /usr/lib64/ first.
It is very odd behavior and could well be a bug in the build system. I
did build bonddb and bond in their respective directories but I would
have thought that the build system should be able to cope with this.

Best

Colin Close