[Bond-users] Last Post

Dru dru at treshna.com
Sun Jan 14 21:24:24 EST 2007

Colin Close wrote:
> Hi Dru,
>
  > I have many questions to ask about Bond I hope you have plenty of
patience!!
> There are two that are burning in my mind.
>
> The first is if Bonddb carries on and executes SQL code irrespective of
> whether it understands it What happens?
> Clearly the message is ultimately delivered via a wrapped pgexec so
> results are returned but what happens to them.

Yes it will always execute what is passed to it, whether it understands
it or not.

> The second is that if results can be somehow returned what does Bond
> need to know to be able to insert them in a field.

Inserting records you mean? For inserting new records bond needs to
understand the sql statement to know what tables are in the from statement.

> If my initial read of the code (very superficial) it seems there has to
> be a database object both in the server db and Bonddb so Bond doesn't
> seem to be a full client - server arrangement but has an intermediate
> stage as in Bonddb which appears to load data before Bond itself can
> really do anything.  I can see no reason why Bonddb shouldn't be told
> that an object will come into existence and what data type it will be
> returned (although all data will be returned as text or binary).
> Including the type would be advantageous since that would leave open the
> potential for conversion. I suppose one could take advantage of Bonddbs
> existing mechanisms and create a dummy table in the server-db with no
> data and perhaps assign the SQL to that table. I'm kind of groping for
> understanding here.

bonddb is a wrapper around the postgresql client libraries that make
dealing with things like inserting/deleting/updating records a lot
easier. it doesnt do a whole lot of stuff. bonddbfield.c/h is the
individual descriptions on the fields returned from the select query and
what there datatypes are.

> I'll give the developer docs a read and try and improve the clarity of
> my questions.
> BTW some of the code comment caused considerable amusement 'specially
> the bit with the shopping list!!!

lol. yes. it even got a mention on slashdot article for bad commenting
styles.