[Bond-users] Last Post

Colin Close itchka at compuserve.com
Sun Jan 14 17:47:26 EST 2007

Hi Dru,

I wondered what had happened.  I guess a good user name and pword
would be "herries" and "6millroad7" respectivley.

I have many questions to ask about Bond I hope you have plenty of patience!!
There are two that are burning in my mind.

The first is if Bonddb carries on and executes SQL code irrespective of
whether it understands it What happens?
Clearly the message is ultimately delivered via a wrapped pgexec so
results are returned but what happens to them.

The second is that if results can be somehow returned what does Bond
need to know to be able to insert them in a field.

If my initial read of the code (very superficial) it seems there has to
be a database object both in the server db and Bonddb so Bond doesn't
seem to be a full client - server arrangement but has an intermediate
stage as in Bonddb which appears to load data before Bond itself can
really do anything.  I can see no reason why Bonddb shouldn't be told
that an object will come into existence and what data type it will be
returned (although all data will be returned as text or binary).
Including the type would be advantageous since that would leave open the
potential for conversion. I suppose one could take advantage of Bonddbs
existing mechanisms and create a dummy table in the server-db with no
data and perhaps assign the SQL to that table. I'm kind of groping for
understanding here.

I'll give the developer docs a read and try and improve the clarity of
my questions.
BTW some of the code comment caused considerable amusement 'specially
the bit with the shopping list!!!

Best

Colin Close