[Oct. 17 Seattle] Rough draft PSA

chr2eemail at comcast.net chr2eemail at comcast.net
Fri Oct 2 22:41:16 EDT 2009

Anton,
My two-cents: Yes, from what I remember about radio announcements, I think that this is too long. Moreover, it goes far beyond the actual basis of unity of the Seattle October 17 Anti-War Mobilization. (Remember, the ETS! article was published in my name, and gave my analyses and stands, not those of the working group.) So a way to deal with this, I think, would be to just focus on some bare essentials.
Below is one possible way that this might be done, but I emphasize that it’s rough, off the top of my head, and may also be too long.
On October 7 the war in Afghanistan entered its ninth year. (This assumes that the announcement is for the last week of our campaign.) But with tens of thousands of innocent Afghans and over 1400 U.S./NATO soldiers already dead, the Obama Administration and generals are debating sending still more troops (McCrystal) vs. more expansion of the war into Pakistan (Biden). And to sell the war to the public, Obama is using the same scare tactics as Bush: “This is a war of necessity”…it’s “fundamental to the defense of our people."
The Seattle October 17 Anti-War Mobilization says enough of this! It calls for standing with the millions of Afghan people who oppose the U.S./NATO occupiers, the criminal warlord government that has been imposed upon them, and the bestial Taliban. But the past eight years have shown to millions that both the Republicans and Democrats are war parties, and that the anti-war movement must be built independent of and against both of them. Let us use the Saturday, October 17 demonstration as part of building up precisely such an independent movement. Our uniting slogan is…
U.S. out of Afghanistan now!
March details
In thinking about this more, I think the aim in radio announcements is pretty much limited to informing listeners that something is happening. There’s just not time for much else. So even these two paragraphs would probably need paring down, and there may be better suggestions anyway.

Fortunately, you got this out early enough for all to consider, and since I’m going to be off-line for much of the weekend, it’s likely I’ll see a final result when I come back.
Cheers,
Frank