[Nestedvm] Updated nestedvm toolchain!

Henry Wertz hwertz10 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 18:30:52 EDT 2014

      I pulled the nestedvm head from http://git.megacz.com/ and found it
didn't build.  I decided to try two different techniques for this:
    1) Patch gcc, binutils, newlib as needed.
    2) Update gcc, binutils, newlib to newer versions (that build cleanly
under gcc-4.8)
     Good news!  I got *BOTH* to work!
==============================
     First, building nestedvm "as-is".    There are  several points in the
crosscompiler build where gcc-4.8 stops due to finicky little complaints
needing one-line patches; after those are patched, MIPS binutils have a
buffer overflow, which presumably happens either way but gcc >=4.4 or so
detects the overflow and aborts binutils, while older GCC doesn't detect
it.

     'CFLAGS="-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0" make'    avoids both issues -- it skips
whatever sanity check gcc-4.8 does that makes gcc stop at these points, no
patch required; and binutils completes successfully. It looks like John
Stroy's patch of August 24, 2013 disables FORTIFY so his repo at
https://github.com/jdstroy/nestedvm/ should also build AFAIK.
================================
      Second:   I patched up nestedvm to use gcc-4.8.2 and binutils-2.24.
(I didn't update newlib, I wasn't sure how far nestedvm's patches were
customizing it...)
      Please find attached a few patches and a readme.  In the readme,
ignore the later steps if you don't have .tar.gz and classgen.zip
pre-downloaded.  I was wiping the nestedvm directory enough to want to
pre-load it with these files.

      To summarize the readme, you apply nestedvm.patch, and copy the
remaining patches into upstream/patches.  You also copy crt0-override.spec
into upstream/misc .   Then "make" to build the stuff, "make nestedvm.jar"
if you need a package, etc. just like before.
================================
    Summary of the patches:
     binutils.patch is EXACTLY the same as the existing nestedvm binutils
patches but with updated line numbers, it just adds the mips*-unknown-elf*
target.  The original nestedvm binutils patches are not used.
     gcc.patch also just adds the mips*-unknown-elf* target.  The original
nestedvm gcc patches are not used.
     newlib.patch adds a few patches to fix build errors with gcc-4.8. It's
patched in in addition to nestedvm's patches, since stock newlib is used.
     nestedvm.patch makes a few patches; it patches the main Makefile and
upstream/Makefile, and nestedvm's Compiler.java and Interpreter.java.
     crt0-override.spec -- newer gcc no longer uses crt0.o, this has it use
it since nestedvm supplies a custom crt0.o and expects the compiler to use
it.

     In upstream Makefile, I updated the gcc and binutils version numbers
that it grabs; changed the gcc download stuff slightly since gcc is no
longer seperated into multiple tar.gz files. I added "--disable-libssp" to
crosscompiler configure, SSP was causing build problems if I recall
correctly.  Oh, yeah!  GCC >=4.6 quit using crt0.o by default!!  So the
faff about "crt0-override.spec" is to make crt0.o be included in your
static libs and binaries, otherwise you have binaries without a proper
start point and nothing runs in nestedvm.
      In main Makefile, -freduce-all-givs is not legal in gcc-4, so I
removed that from the default CFLAGs, and I took "-Werror" of the build
flags since the examples that were I'm sure warning-free in gcc-3.3.6 now
build but shoot out loads of warnings with gcc-4.8.2.
    In Compiler.java and Interpreter.java, they used symtab.getGlobalSymbol
(for instance to look up the symbol _gp) but objdump tells me _gp is now a
*local* symbol; so I replaced uses of "getGlobalSymbol" with "GetSymbol",
which works fine.
==========================
      Testing:
      I built the jpeg test, and some font test.  The results came out the
same, in terms of correct execution.  gcc-4.8.2 results came out 11%
*SLOWER* than gcc-3.3.6.  D'oh!  However, I haven't messed around with LTO,
or messing with the CFLAGS (other than removing the one invalid flag in my
patch).  I figure at least this'll allow software that doesn't build under
gcc-3 to be crosscompiled if one wants to.

     Again, do read at least the top of the the readme.txt -- the patches
aren't just all applied to nestedvm, several are copied into the nestedvm
upstream/patches directory instead.
     Enjoy!