[Nestedvm] Nestedvm gcc-4.8.3 note on crt0.o

Henry Wertz hwertz10 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 22:13:17 EST 2014

     I wanted to post a quick note on using this nestedvm build:
     gcc-4.8.3 does not use the crt0.o file by default, even if it exists;
nestedvm builds a crt0.o it expects to be used.  I suppose gcc now expects
bare metal initialization to go into the system libc?

     Anyway, there is one  unusual gcc command that I patched into the
Makefile of several builds, and you need if your build will work:

-specs=$(cross_root)/lib/crt0-override.spec

    The Makefile defines cross_root as (update to your real path)
/path/to/nestedvm/upstream/install/mips-unknown-elf/ so ultimately you want
-specs=/path/to/nesedvm/upstream/install/mips-unknown-elf/lib/crt0-override.spec

     in your CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS.

     I forgot to put this in build.sh, too (which sets some variables up
for an autoconf-based "./configure ; make" style build.)    I think it
would go best in mips_cflags, don't forget the "\" character at the end of
the previous line.  I also realized that CXXFLAGS and PCFLAGS must be moved
below MIPS_CFLAGS, otherwise they are just set to empty. Oh and you will
have to change "usr" to point to your nestedvm build.