[Nestedvm] compiling C++ (exiv2) and running on XP

Stéphane Bansard stebans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 06:25:03 EDT 2009

Hi,

THANKS a lot for your contribution. I discovered your project through sqlite
JDBC driver (http://www.zentus.com/sqlitejdbc/), and it was tempting (to at
least try) to compile some C/C++ exe file we need.
As not being to familiar with C/C++, i thought the task was clearly
impossible until I discovered a few days ago the excellente start guide (
http://wiki.brianweb.net/NestedVM/QuickStartGuide).

Everything went well and I compiled successfully the Hello World.

I then tried to compile exiv2, a utility for managing image metadata (
http://www.exiv2.org/).  The problem is that it's a g++ application, which
might not be a problem. Maybe it's a make/makefile problem and I didn't give
the right arguments

As you suggested, I added some properties to make
    make CC=mips-unknown-elf-gcc LD=mips-unknown-elf-gcc CXX=
mips-unknown-elf-gcc

then make CC=mips-unknown-elf-g++  LD=mips-unknown-elf-g++
inspired from env.sh

but what to do with something like "CXXCPP = g++ -E" ?

so no sucess!
---
Another problem occured. I tried to test the Test class on a Windows XP
machine. I created the runtime.jar.
But on a cmd.exe prompt,

> java -cp runtime.jar Test
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Test
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Test
Could not find the main class: Test.  Program will exit.

Again, I've missed something! I might not have understanded your sentence:

    If you want to redistribute your binary you'll need to include the
contents of runtime.jar with your application.
    You can build this by running make runtime.jar. (This isn't needed for
the test above because env.sh sets the CLASSPATH for you.)

---
I'm sorry if I've spammed your mailbox with specific problem. I really like
the idea about NestedVM being the somehow equivalent of Cygwin. Good luck
with this project!
Best regards
Stéphane