[Nestedvm] Problems building on OS X

Adam Megacz megacz at cs.berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 28 15:46:45 EDT 2009

Ken Arnold <arnold at industriousmedia.com> writes:
> They die when trying to
> validate that the C compiler works.  This seems to be because some
> previous test leave a conftest.dSYM *directory* around.

Yes, sadly this is an unfortunate interaction between Apple's linker
and autoconf.  You might be able to fix it by installing a very recent
version of autotools and regenerating all the autoconfigury for each
"subproject" that nestedvm imports, but it's messy.

Personally, I think Apple needs to do something about it.  Rebuilding
all the ./configure scripts out there just isn't practical -- Apple
needs to provide an environment variable that turns off this behavior.

  - a