[Nestedvm] Installation problems on RedHat

Steve Loch sgl at bodc.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 13:11:33 EST 2009

(I posted this to the previous list).

We may be nearly there but the installation breaks down (after many minutes of processing the Makefile) with this error (see below). The download was taken using

darcs get http://nestedvm.ibex.org/

We're running on a 64-bit RedHat Linux machine - which we moved to when confronted by a darcs error and I sussed that the gcc version was a little old. It would be worth indicating what version of gcc has been used (3.4.4 v. 4.1.2 was enough to make a difference)  in the documentation. Details of the exact problem with darcs can be provided if wanted. The other thing I would say is that Makefile recapitulates on the initial darcs get - which seems a bit pointless and problematical too. Using 'make env.sh' which is mentioned in the wiki seems to avoid this but mine repeatedly failed with curl -0 ftp:/ .... bintils-2.4.tar.gz. Lord knows why because I could get it manually.

I'd greatly appreciate any assistance to resolve this (we've encountered problems getting DLLs to mesh and NestedVM would seem to be a much better alternative and deserves to be publicised).

Thanks.

Steve Loch
BODC
www.bodc.ac.uk
        /bin/sh ${srcdir}/mkfixinc.sh x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu mips-unknown-elf)

constructing ../fixinc.sh for mips-unknown-elf to run on x86_64-unknown-linux-gn u
make TARGETS=oneprocess SHELL="/bin/csh" CC="gcc" CFLAGS=" -g -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCRO SS_COMPILE -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wt raditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE" LDFLAGS=""  LIBERTY="/users/serplo/nestedvm/nestedvm.ibex.org/upstream/build/gcc-obj/gcc/.. /libiberty/libiberty.a" install-bin
make[4]: Entering directory `/users/serplo/nestedvm/nestedvm.ibex.org/upstream/b uild/gcc-obj/gcc/fixinc'
/bin/csh ../../../gcc-3.3.6/gcc/fixinc/genfixes machname.h
SHELL=/bin/sh: Command not found.
export: Command not found.
if: Expression Syntax.
make[4]: *** [machname.h] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/users/serplo/nestedvm/nestedvm.ibex.org/upstream/bu ild/gcc-obj/gcc/fixinc'
make[3]: *** [fixinc.sh] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/users/serplo/nestedvm/nestedvm.ibex.org/upstream/bu ild/gcc-obj/gcc'
make[2]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/users/serplo/nestedvm/nestedvm.ibex.org/upstream/bu ild/gcc-obj'
make[1]: *** [tasks/build_gcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/users/serplo/nestedvm/nestedvm.ibex.org/upstream'
make: *** [upstream/tasks/build_gcc] Error 2