[Calefaction Wiki] Update of "HomeBrewing" by ClintonEbadi

Calefaction Wiki noreply at calefaction.org
Wed Mar 21 01:38:09 EDT 2012

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Calefaction Wiki" for change notification.

The "HomeBrewing" page has been changed by ClintonEbadi:
http://wiki.calefaction.org/HomeBrewing?action=diff&rev1=149&rev2=150

   * 2012-02-12: ClintonEbadi's Nowruz (American IPA)
   * 2012-02-25: SteveKillen's Stovetop American IPA
   * 2012-03-07: ClintonEbadi's Brown Town (Brown Ale)
-  * 2012-03-07: ClintonEbadi's Cernunnos (Am. Wheat Ale)
+  * 2012-03-07: ClintonEbadi's Cernunnos (Am. Wheat Ale with Ginger and Chamomile)
+  * 2012-03-07: RachelBrown's Ancient Orange Mead

  == Fermenting ==

-  * 7.5 gal carboy: nil
+  * 7.5 gal carboy: ClintonEbadi's Blackberry-Hibiscus Cyser (2012-03-18)
   * Better Bottle #1: BtTempleton's French Revolution Ale (2012-03-11)
   * Better Bottle #2: RachelBrown's Luna Moth (2012-03-17)
   * Better Bottle #3: nil
   * Small Better Bottle: SteveKillen's Stovetop Bleeding Heart Hefeweizen (2012-02-29)
   * 5 gal carboy: ClintonEbadi's Cider Recipe #5 (2011-11-26)
   * 1 gal jug #1: KristenPeavler's Lavender Rose mead (2012-03-17)
-  * 1 gal jug #2: RachelBrown's Ancient Orange Mead (2011-11-13)
+  * 1 gal jug #2: nil
+  * 1 gal jug #3: nil
+  * 1 gal jug #4: nil
+  * 1 gal jug #5: nil
   * Extraction Jar: Fenugreek/Vodka extraction (2011-12-15)

  == Planning ==
@@ -50, +54 @@

  = Useful Information =

- == General Brewing ==
+ == Required Reading ==

-  * [[http://howtobrew.com|How to Brew]]. Sections one and two should be read before attempting to brew as we are skipping straight to using specialty grains (the extra effort is trivial).
+ Read [[http://howtobrew.com|How to Brew]]. Do not continue, do not pass Go until you've at least made it through [[http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1.html|Chapter One]].
+
+ == Styles/Ingredients ==
+
   * [[http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php|2008 BJCP Style Guide]]
-  * [[http://www.mrmalty.com/|Mr Malty]] has a few useful articles
-   * A useful guide to [[http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php|late-hopping/hopbursting]]
   * [[attachment:hopunion-variety-databook.pdf|Hopunion Variety Databook]] has tons of useful info on different hop varieties<<FootNote(From http://hopunion.com/hopeducation.html)>>
   * [[http://www.realbeer.com/hops/FAQ.html|The Hop FAQ]], revised by Gary Tinseth himself. Hop wizardry inside!
+  * [[http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ingredient-guides-redux-107308/|Homebrewtalk Ingredient Guide]]
+
+ == General Brewing ==
+
+  * [[http://www.mrmalty.com/|Mr Malty]] has a few useful articles
   * [[http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page|Homebrewtalk Wiki]]
-  * [[http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ingredient-guides-redux-107308/|Homebrewtalk Ingredient Guide]]
+  * A guide to [[http://www.homebrewzone.com/off-flavors.htm|off flavors in beer]]
+
+ == Technique ==
+
+  * A useful guide to [[http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php|late-hopping/hopbursting]]
-   * A thread on HomebrewTalk about [[http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/|Stovetop All-grain batches]]
+  * A thread on HomebrewTalk about [[http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/|Stovetop All-grain batches]]
+  * A [[http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm|handy chart]] to help you determine your Hop Schedule courtesy of http://www.brewsupplies.com/
+
+ == Software ==
+
+  * [[http://brewtarget.sourceforge.net/|Brewtarget]] A newer Free Software brewing tool. Looks similar to QBrew, but apparantly shares no code, and appears to be actively maintained.
+  * [[http://www.usermode.org/code.html|QBrew]] recipe formulation tool and batch log. Available in Debian, and indispensable for the Free Software loving brewer. Lacking a few features compared to proprietary offerings, but bpt and ClintonEbadi are programmers... We don't use it anymore, but [[QBrew]] could be improved if one felt like it.
   * [[http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html|Carbonation Calculator]]
-  * A [[http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm|handy chart]] to help you determine your Hop Schedule courtesy of http://www.brewsupplies.com/
   * [[http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php|ABV Calculator]]
-  * A guide to [[http://www.homebrewzone.com/off-flavors.htm|off flavors in beer]]

- == Software ==
+ == Wine/Mead/Cider ==

-  * [[http://www.usermode.org/code.html|QBrew]] recipe formulation tool and batch log. Available in Debian, and indispensable for the Free Software loving brewer. Lacking a few features compared to proprietary offerings, but bpt and ClintonEbadi are programmers... We don't use it anymore, but [[QBrew]] could be improved if one felt like it.
-  * [[http://brewtarget.sourceforge.net/|Brewtarget]] A newer Free Software brewing tool. Looks similar to QBrew, but apparantly shares no code, and appears to be actively maintained.
-
+  * [[http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/fermcalc_links.html|Wine Links]] (has a lot of good stuff!)
+  * [[http://hbd.org/brewery/library/beeslees.html|The Bee's Lees]], a Collection of Mead Recipes
+  * [[http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/|Jack Keller's Wine Page]]
+  * [[http://www.winebook.webs.com/|The Home Winemaker's Manual]]. Not sure how popular, but looks to be the closest to How to Brew in terms of presentation of the process.

  == Location Specific ==

@@ -100, +119 @@

- The water ion nomograph is pulled from Palmer's [[http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-3.html|How To Brew]]. Looks like our water profile in Raleigh is good for pale, bitter beers; it's got a sulfate:chloride ratio of 3:1. To make darker, maltier beers, some additions will be required. SteveKillen estimates that for our 8ish-gallon water volume, a total of 3.6g chalk, 3.6g baking soda, and 4g of non-iodized salt will provide a better water profile for malty beers like the Bubonic Porter.<<FootNote(Additions calculated using http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/ which rounds to the nearest number... not so scientific, but good enough for our uses)>> Further tweaking may be required, but a good goal is to test several styles of beer and come up with a handful of good generic numbers.
+ The water ion nomograph is pulled from Palmer's [[http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-3.html|How To Brew]]. Looks like our water profile in Raleigh is good for pale, bitter beers; it's got a sulfate:chloride ratio of 3:1 (maybe -- it also has very little of either). To make darker, maltier beers, some additions will be required. SteveKillen estimates that for our 8ish-gallon water volume, a total of 3.6g chalk, 3.6g baking soda, and 4g of non-iodized salt will provide a better water profile for malty beers like the Bubonic Porter.<<FootNote(Additions calculated using http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/ which rounds to the nearest number... not so scientific, but good enough for our uses)>> Further tweaking may be required, but a good goal is to test several styles of beer and come up with a handful of good generic numbers.

  === Cary ===
   * [[http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/Public_Works_and_Utilities/Water/Water_Treatment/finishedwater.htm|Town of Cary Water Quality Report]].
@@ -123, +142 @@

  == Future Ideas ==

-  * [[http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/|Cheap and Easy Batch Sparging]] Much simpler Mash tun design than one designed for fly sparging (and it can be converted to a fancier tun later if needed)
   * [[http://www.flickr.com/photos/bsalzer/5151202457/in/set-72157625251510285/|DIY Wooden Beer Cases]]

  == General Beer ==
@@ -143, +161 @@

   * '''2'x2' Paving Stone''' to provide a stable surface for the burner and protection for deck wood against drying out or scorching
   * '''Polarware 30 quart stainless steel brew kettle'''. Basic, but workable for full five gallon wort boils. LHBS recommended the low end kettle and reserving funds for a future purchase of a fancy ten gallon kettle.
   * '''Immersion Wort Chiller'''. Just a basic coiled copper tubing gadget.
-  * '''[[http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_792_792|Northern Tool Submersible Pump]]''' For circulating ice water through the immersion chiller in an attempt to save water. Cost about the same as the pond pump that didn't work, but a quick test was promising--the flow rate through the wort chiller looked as high as with the garden faucet. As of 2011-06-09 we have successfully cooled around 7 brews with the pump and it has yet to break--we can cool a five gallon batch to 74F in ~15 minutes using only 20 gallons of water and eight frozen 2L soda bottles. If it doesn't break in six more months I think I can recommend it.
+  * '''[[http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_792_792|Northern Tool Submersible Pump]]''' For circulating ice water through the immersion chiller in an attempt to save water. Cost about the same as the pond pump that didn't work, but a quick test was promising--the flow rate through the wort chiller looked as high as with the garden faucet. As of 2011-06-09 we have successfully cooled around 7 brews with the pump and it has yet to break--we can cool a five gallon batch to 74F in ~15 minutes using only 20 gallons of water and eight frozen 2L soda bottles. --(If it doesn't break in six more months)--it's 2012-03-20 and the pump has survived a '''lot''' of batches so I think I can recommend it.
   * '''48" Stirring Spoon''' That's what she said

  == Fermentation ==
@@ -154, +172 @@

   * '''7 Gallon Glass Carboy'''
   * '''5 Gallon Glass Carboy''' for secondary fermentation
   * '''5 Gallon Mash Lautering Tun''' for masochism and all-grain batches [[http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_a_cooler_to_a_mash_tun#Cylindrical|Parts list]], total cost ~$40. Make sure to check out [[http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/2010/12/screwys-5-gallon-mash-tun.html|a better guide to the actual construction]].
-  * 2 '''1 Gallon Glass Jug''' for minibatches or starters
+  * 5 '''1 Gallon Glass Jug''' for minibatches or starters
   * 2 '''64oz Glass Jug''' (Rogue Dead Guy Ale Jug) for starters
   * '''Airlock''' enough for all fermentors and one starter jug (with stoppers for the carboys)

  == Siphoning &c ==

   * '''Autosiphon''' Fancy and new with a smaller outer tube diameter
-  * '''10' 5/16" ID Siphon Hosing'''
-    * Split with a venturi tube gadget for wort aeration
+  * Venturi tube gadget for wort aeration
-  * '''Faucet hose adapter'''. Because it's getting cold and outdoor faucets need to be turned off soon.
+  * '''Faucet hose adapter'''. Easily acquired and infinitely useful -- the one we found has hose threads and a second set of smaller threads for an internally-threaded aerator. Really useful for filling buckets, using a jet bottle washer, getting a faster water flow for filling things (pasta pots, watering cans, ...).
   * '''Bucket Filler'''. Homemade hose end with siphon tubing attached to make filling five gallons of water a lot less of a pain in the ass.

  == Bottling ==
@@ -171, +188 @@

   * '''6 gallon bottling bucket''' with a spigot
   * '''Bottling Cane''' with an auto shutoff and whatnot
   * '''Bottle Capper''' basic wing capper
-  * '''Bottlecaps''' about 24oz (6-7 batches worth), brightly colored (5/1/11)
   * '''Drying Rack''' Plywood board with removable legs and holes for drying bottles after sanitization

  == Science! ==

   * '''Hydrometer''' for taking gravity readings
-  * '''Floating Thermometer'''
+  * '''Floating Thermometer''' Warning: slow to read, not particularly accurate... mostly used to stir rehydrated yeast slurry now
+  * '''12" SS Dial Thermometer''' Reasonably accurate, reads fast, can get deep into the mash
+  * '''Pocket Kitchen Therometer''' Reasonable accurate, reads fast, handy for checking gravity sample temperatures
   * '''Cylinder''' not graduated, but with a 100mL (maybe--have to double check this) line marked. Used when taking gravity readings.
   * '''Wine Thief''' a small thief to take non-returnable samples for gravity readings
   * '''The Thief''' to take gravity readings in the fermenter!
@@ -201, +219 @@

   * '''Cooling system''' A pair of plant water drainage trays, tshirts, and a box fan... not as nice as a basement, but it actually works pretty well. (New place had a fridge so we grabbed a controller instead. This is still a great low-tech solution though--still in use by SteveKillen).

+ == Expendables ==
+
+ That you can't [[/Ingredients|eat]] at least.
+
+  * '''5/16" ID Siphon Hosing'''
+  * '''Bottlecaps''' about 24oz (6-7 batches worth), brightly colored (5/1/11)
+
  == NEEDED ==

  More gadgets.

  Like this one: [[http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U5NZ4I/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=|Victoria Hand Mill]], $30 after shipping. (out of stock)
+
  Or this one: [[http://www.amazon.com/grinder-HEAVY-DUTY-adjustable-soybeans-CAPACITY/dp/B004Q7JQI0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1|Another hand mill]], $23.77 after shipping.

+  * Larger kettle (10 gallon batches, kthx)
+  * Larger mash tun (all grain for batches about 1.055 kthx)
+