Supply Requisition Form

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 10:23:36 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org>wrote:

> Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Clinton Ebadi <
> clinton at unknownlamer.org>
> > wrote:
> >

> >     p.s. remind me to add the buffer 5.2 and also to check the pH AT ROOM
> >     TEMP (fun fact: the 5.2ish target pH is at room temp, and at mash
> temp
> >     is something like 0.3-0.5 lower ... that explains that then!).
> >
> > So, I did some more reading, and it looks like until we get an
> electronic pH
> > meter, it doesn't make a huge impact if we use hot wort or room temp
> wort as
> > long as we factor in the pH change related to temperature (~0.35
> difference).
> > The electronic meters are apparently calibrated at room temp, though, so
> they
> > need to be kept at that state to function well. It'll be good practice
> to test
> > a sample at room temp, and I agree that we should begin recording both.
> But
> > unless we can cool the sample in less than 5 minutes, it'll be useless
> in terms
> > of adjusting mash pH further on the fly using room temp pH data.
>
> The note was more to the effect: aha, *that's* why the mash pH was
> 4.8/4.9 -- it's actually supposed to be that at mash temp!

I initially thought that as well. But Palmer's nomograph shows that at room
temp, ideal pH starts at 5.4--and other sources (Strong, Papazian) reflect
that increase at room temp. They use 5.2 as the ideal because mash temp is
what what homebrewers are usually measuring pH at.

Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter
| pursuing.calefaction.org

Etsi provectus in sententiis sis