The aftermath [wedding brews]

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 12:05:02 EST 2011

Greetings,

I'm home. Here's the final report on the disposition of the beer.

I had instructed the bartender to serve them in glasses, but people
insisted on bottles. I hope there weren't too many cases of diarrhea ;-) It
went over fantastically, all things considered, and I had many shit-faced
individuals telling me how excellent our offerings all were. A few points:

-The first batch of Luna Moth seems incredibly undercarbonated. I
distinctly remember pitching the priming sugar (I shot for 2.4 volumes),
and the storage was in a quite warm area (and under a blanket to boot), so
I'm confused. It still tastes ok-ish, but the second batch is definitely
the effervescent deliciousness we have come to know and love.

-We made enough! In fact, I was able to take some home with me. The total
count brought home from the wedding: 21 porters, 17 ESBs, and 19 saisons. I
gave my sister and dad each a half-case "sampler pack," but to that the
half-case of porter I set aside before leaving, and we have about two cases
total. So I'll be bringing by a case of the remains and save the rest for
myself (divvied up evenly, of course!). I also bought some specialty beer
for the hotel afterparty, so we have a few yummy extras to polish off--90
minute, Brooklyn Black Chocolate, and some Sierra Nevada Pale. In addition,
Rob's father gave me a few Great Lakes bottles, and the two I'm bringing
over are the Holy Moses (a wit with chamomile in it) and the well-reputed
Edmund Fitzgerald porter.

-I managed to salvage most of the bottles, though my container ran out of
space and the backup container was left at some other place in all the
wedding hubbub. So I don't have 200 bottles, but suck it. :) I'm currently
washing the bottles for Clinton's IPA, and am free to bottle any time
before 3pm any day this week.

-The labels were held in very high regard. My mom and I spent Thursday
night finishing the gluing. Kristen and Rachel, you did amazing work, and I
was proud to brag about your talents!

tl;dr: we nailed it :)

--
Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>