Brewday this week?

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Sat May 28 14:29:41 EDT 2011

Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org>
> wrote:
>
>     Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:
>
>     > Getting that itchy feeling again...thinking it might be time for some
>     more
>     > Nowruz. Brewday Weds.?
>
>     Funny, I was thinking the same thing.
>
>     I have a slashdot shift Tuesday so Wednesday could work, but I suspect
>     Thursday might be better (I *do* have another contract that I should be
>     working on...). But if Wednesday alone works for you I can probably do
>     that (I want more Nowruz damnit!).
>
> Weds. is my day off. If you can have cash handy I can get the grain & hops &
> yeast on my way, and I'll pick up the hydrometer to replace the one broken, and
> I'll grab another bag of DME 'coz we're down to 1.5lbs or so. And I'll get the
> replacement hose (5/16" internal).
>
> Oh! And we need to refill the propane. Can you do that before brewday?

Probably not, in theory my grandmother is leaving for Maryland
tomorrow... we definitely have enough propane to get the mash water up
and the ace just around the corner does refills (confirmed in person)
for $20 (a few bucks more than the other place in cary, but minus the 20
miles of driving) so we can do that during the mash.

> Any other supplies we're getting short on?

You should get a plastic racking cane (they are a couple of bucks) -- the
remaining bits of my old racking cane are pretty butchered from my first
attempts at sawing it apart... we have enough for *one* new aerator *if*
we don't screw up at all.

We also need more caps! We used like 100 of them last week... so we have
enough for 2ish batches, but I like to have a margin and all (I'll pay
for the caps this time, naturally).

I think we need another 2lbs of corn sugar as well -- we used almost a
full pound last week (JWEHATZ is 3.5 vol co_2!).

So...

 - 2lbs corn sugar
 - 5lbs DME
 - racking cane
 - hydrometer (booo jhitz)
 - caps

That should be it.

Also, you've talked about a fancy kitchen scale. Is it similar to the
one they sell at the brewstore perchance? A good digital scale that can
measure up to a pound of stuff would be really helpful if you could
bring that (OR: double the throughput weighing out Nowruz's five
billion hop additions).

--
   (1) _Of course_ we made sure it was actually too slow before making
the ugly optimization.