April: The brewening [wedding brews]

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 12:16:28 EDT 2011

Greetings,

So I am ramping up to prepare for the small brews on my stovetop, and plan
to begin this or next weekend. I formally invite your participation! I'm
thinking either tomorrow or next Sat./Sun. for starting a basic pale. If I
start tomorrow, I can bottle that and have another one going next weekend
even!

Given the constraints, I should probably get a thing of DME and do the
specialty grains in the oven rather than trying to do an all-grain mash in
the tun. OTOH, with a mash I could probably get away without diluting the
wort, instead siphoning some of the runnings into the fermenter directly and
doing the wort boil with the rest. Would that affect the quality of the
beer?

One nice thing about small batch is that it costs less up front for grain :)

I'll work up a final recipe for a pale today now that I have brewtarget up
and running. I guess the two axes I should twiddle are AA and the types &
proportions of specialty grains, yes? Your opinions on this will be most
appreciated.

--
Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter