Hard Root Beer

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Fri Feb 4 13:37:45 EST 2011

Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:

> So for my next brew I was thinking to do an English Ale, the reason being that
> I can do an all-grain regular batch and a small beer with the sparge. My goal
> in this it to make a root beer with the leavings, just a touch alcoholic but
> nothing too rough on the palate. I saw root beer kits at the FLHS the other
> day.

Those are for non-alcoholic root beer, you can't actually make alcoholic
root beer (think about it--it is mostly sucrose and would be thin, dry,
and fusely). If you don't force carbonate you let it ferment a tiny bit
and then heat pasteurize to stop fermentation before it explodes.

--
Jessie: i stuck the phone antenna up the dogs nose and he ignored me