Some thoughts on all-grain

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:48:44 EST 2011

Greetings, gentlemen,

Now that I've had sleep and food and such, I'm feeling more positive about
all-grain. The process can be streamlined--when we started brewing, our
efficiency was similarly low. Last night JHitz and I were essentially doing
the brewing, with Clinton being a kitchen adjunct, minimally supervising;
the mash can be improved to that point I think as well.

So, process points:
 * pre-warming the mash tun to mitigate heat loss--this will save much time
trying to get the temp up in the tun.
 * getting mash-range pH strips. We never even really were able to measure
the pH; this step will actually give us information useful for the brew.
 * I don't actually have a third point; I feel like lautering went as well
as it could have :)

Are there ways to prepare for the mash ahead of my arrival from the homebrew
store with the milled grain besides pre-heating the mash tun?

--
Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter
| pursuing.calefaction.org